Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Kansai and more adventures!

Wow, it's been busy. I need to hurry up and post this before it all gets terribly out of date and/or I forget everything. So, Friday was the fabulous Mexican fiesta at my apartment. Oh my God, the food was so good. We cooked up a tempest of tacos, burritos, chicken/shrimp fajitas, and more, and the JETs really came out in force. Anyway, it was a good time, followed by drinks and karaoke (of course).  I also got some cute presents, including a very Kristi-like Hello Kitty apron--red with pink bows.  ;)


Mexican Fiesta in Kamo
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.


Saturday, my mom and I made the six hour shinkansen trip out to Osaka and checked into our hotel, immediately after which we passed out, waking up only to eat dinner and pass out again. Sunday, we went to the park out in Nara, which I absolutely *loved*. Seeing so many deer just wandering around kinda blew my mind. They're pretty determined when it comes to their biscuits though, I've gotta say--one ripped a whole stack out of my hand still in the wrapper. :) Anyway, we saw Kofukuji and Todaiji, two shrines that have been declared World Heritage sites. The latter of the two has the largest wooden building in the world, which houses the largest Buddha statue in Japan.


At Nara Park
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.



Daibutsu
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.


After doing a little shopping in Nara, we took a train out to Kyoto and hit two more shrines: Sanjusangen-do and Fushimi-Inari Taisha. Sanjusangen-do is famous for containing 1001 statues of Kannon, while Fushimi-Inari involves a *lot* of red tori.


Inside Sanjusangen-do
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.



At Fushimi-Inari Taisha
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.


On Monday, we spent the day leisurely strolling around the grounds of Osaka Castle, the city's most famous landmark. We also did a litle bit of shopping around the city before embarking on the long shinkansen ride back to Niigata.


Osaka Castle
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.


All in all, a good weekend.  And now?  Now I'm 23.  Time to end a long post and get back to living.  Hope all of you are doing well. Oh, before I forget, taiko concert pictures from the other day are up now:


Tsubame Taiko Concert
Originally uploaded by kristi-san.

No comments: