Tuesday, October 18, 2005

School

I've had some really great lessons lately, something I'm always thankful for. It seems like the kids are getting friendlier by the day. Highlights of the week so far? Being told I was really cute by two first-years (the amount of English they struggled with was even more endearing than the sentiment) and having a rather long conversation about what Japanese celebrities I like with another first-year student today (again, I appreciated the epic battle with English). I know that everyone emphasizes using only English in the classroom, but I've gotta say that I think that the Japanese is really helpful. Even though I generally use English, I can help the kids with their questions after they've exhausted their rather limited set of vocab to communicate with me. And I think that tends to make them want to talk to me more--because they don't have to be as afraid that we'll just hit a dead-end and start blinking at one another after a sentence or two. I switch back to English when I can, and I think it makes at least some of them try harder to communicate with me. I've noticed that the students I occasionally help in Japanese are the ones who race to spout their latest English lesson whenever they see me.

Let's see, what else... Oh, I was interviewed about anime and low birthrates in America and ran into Rosalind at a rather scary English teachers' conference at my base school today. Anyway, I'm going to try and do a few more GRE practice sets--they tend to make me want to go to sleep ridiculously early though, so we'll see how far I get.

No comments: